This recipe does not use egg-batter.
2 small, dark, firm eggplants
1 1/2 cups oil (preferably Canola)
Sunday Gravy or Marinara Sauce
3/4 cup chopped Scamorze or Mozzarella cheese
12 Fresh Basil Leaves ( cut into 1/2 inch strips)
freshly grated Parmesan cheese or Romano cheese
1. Remove the stem and peel each eggplant. Cut crosswise into 1/4
2. Place slices in a colander, salt lightly. Cover with a paper towel and place a weight on top. (A large can of tomatoes
will do) Let stand for 1/2 hour to extract all the bitter juices.
3. Heat the oil in an electric fry pan on the highest heat or use
a large heavy skillet.
4. Fry each side until golden brown. Drain excess oil by placing on brown paper bag or paper towel.
5. Line a
2 1/2 quart shallow baking dish or a disposable aluminum pan with a little sauce. Arrange a layer of eggplant slices over it. Add
basil strips .Cover with a layer of scamorze, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs then tomato sauce. Repeat the layers. End with a layer
of eggplant. Drizzle some sauce on top.
6. Bake in a pre-heated 350 deg oven for 30 minutes until the eggplant is tender and golden
7. Let eggplant rest for at least 30 minutes.
8. Makes great cold sandwiches if spread thinly on Italian bread