1 2 1/2 pound whole chicken
3/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 green peppers cut into strips
red peppers cut into strips
4 med onions sliced thick
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes
1/2 teasp red pepper flakes
1 cup whole button mushrooms
or sliced larger mushrooms
chopped fresh parsley
1. Wash and pat dry chicken. Cut into about eight pieces.
2. Using a large heavy skillet,
with cover , add the olive oil and crushed garlic and saute until garlic is golden brown. Remove the garlic.
3. When the oil is fairly
hot, add the chicken pieces and saute until the chicken is nicely browned, turning as needed, adding salt and pepper to taste. Cover
the chicken and let it simmer over low flame until it is tender , about five minutes.
4. Add the sliced peppers and onions, cook until
they are tender --crisp, not limp.
5. Using a medium high heat, add the tomatoes with their juices . Season to taste, adding red pepper
flakes if desired.
6. When the tomatoes have cooked to a sauce consistency, add the mushrooms and sprinkle with fresh parsley .Toss
the mixture in the pan to allow the flavors to blend. Cover and let rest 1/2 hour before serving. Serve at room temperature or reheat
Serves 4 to 6.